Why It Is Really Hard To Be A Young Adult In 2011:
THESE ARE MY/OUR TROUBLES, PERFECTLY ARTICULATED IN ONE SENTENCE.
1. You HAVE to go to college
2. Which means you have to have a pretty solid idea of exactly what career you want (no matter what they tell you about still having “time”)
3. You are scared to death that god forbid you pick an artsy, not-very-profitable career because then you will struggle to support yourself in your adult life
4. You are scared to death that if you make a “smart career choice”, if you pick “doctor” or “lawyer” or anything ending with “technician, then a day will come when you realize you hate your life.
And basically, this is how I’ve always seen it:
Way back in the day, college was an option. But as time went on something happened that made an ace college degree a must… ugh, maybe it was the increasing rise in technology’s reign. (Maybe it’s true what they say in like, magazine articles and science journals- that as our generations progress, they must become smarter to keep up with all the new knowledge and information we are unearthing. To keep up with computers that “in the near future” will be able to do the same shit we can except better and faster. Nice.)
In the sixties, let’s say, you could score a job college degree or not, based on how good you were at it, how much potential you displayed, how personable you were, etc. Maybe not for positions as doctors or whatever, because I am sure one would need thorough training of course.
But these days, we have to get a college degree even in art, to get a job in our field?!
I was cursed with loving the arts and not brain surgery.
Our generation’s dilemma- my dilemma- is that college has become such a requirement in our lives, it has become so fucking expensive, that these factors are keeping us from pursuing the things we love. We are trapped by fear. We are trapped in a world of expensive FRUIT, and five dollar coffee, of rent so ridiculous that it can make you want to live with your parents again.
I was accepted to every art school I applied to. And I am positive that this isn’t something to be proud of, but instead I chose to go to community college because I simply. Could not. Afford it. Financial aid or not, it is tear-inducing to think about being thousands upon thousands of dollars in debt after you get your “ART DEGREE” and then not being able to get a fucking job anyway.
This is why I want to say to everyone right now who is taking a risk by going for a degree in the non-sciences, arts, etc.: I envy your courage. This has been a long post but I really don’t have an answer to the struggles of young people in this age. Because if I had one I would probably be a lot happier and secure with my choices than I am now.
- mygfdoesntloveme reblogged this from nineeyedoracle
- i-heart--you reblogged this from areyoudainty
- m1scellaneous reblogged this from sleepmydeer
- darlingkatt reblogged this from sleepmydeer
- danamt likes this
- nanhattan reblogged this from sleepmydeer
- sleepmydeer reblogged this from d-i-c-k-h-e-a-d
- narrativecolour reblogged this from narrativefragments
- luvkitt3n reblogged this from bat-blood
- zepolalyak reblogged this from katieatsjesus
- zepolalyak likes this
- cosihaveavoice reblogged this from tuesdayblouse
- dancingqueendiet reblogged this from fuckyeahdariamorgendorffer
- thebiz214 reblogged this from repostr
- repostr reblogged this from daisyvalley
- sweetscarlett likes this
- a-different-kind-of-bird reblogged this from mon33k
- areyoudainty reblogged this from reign-overme
- reign-overme reblogged this from nadiahistalking
- reign-overme likes this
- lavie-est-belle reblogged this from nadiahistalking
- nadiahistalking reblogged this from nisasally
- jann-el reblogged this from nisasally
- nisasally reblogged this from christaexplainsitall
- rock-is-my-cure likes this
- kimboolay reblogged this from killingbambi
- highknight reblogged this from christaexplainsitall
- ko-cane likes this
- kristinesantiago reblogged this from happypaouiee
- ohgosh-thatsjosh reblogged this from omgitstai
- happypaouiee reblogged this from layers-of-skin-hiding-bones
- fuckcallum reblogged this from thelamerican and added:
- rosesatyourdoor likes this
- toastedgold likes this
- ibelonginnarnia likes this
- nadene reblogged this from eizzur
- alpha-centauri likes this
- mediocre-endings likes this
- nathaliediane likes this
- fallinginyoureyes likes this
- georginatzo reblogged this from eizzur
- ifyoucanletgoletsgo likes this
- layers-of-skin-hiding-bones reblogged this from heels-over-head
- pleasejustfuckingstay likes this
- takemylipsandbreatheme likes this
- soithought- reblogged this from enoajawesome
- baninasplit reblogged this from enoajawesome
- enoajawesome reblogged this from hieress
- lukrizia reblogged this from heels-over-head
- heydudeitsalyssa likes this